What do Fashion Designers Do?
Fashion designers basically innovate and create original clothing, footwear and accessories. They sketch designs, look for various patterns and fabrics, and give instructions to the tailor on how to make the products they have designed.
Duties of Fashion Designers
Fashion designers usually do the following:
- Study and anticipate latest fashion trends that will appeal to customers
- Work on a theme for their collection
- Use computer-aided designing programs to fabricate designs
- Visit trade shows or manufacturers to get samples of fabric and seek inspiration
- Select colors, fabrics, embellishments or a style for each accessory or garment
- Work with other designers or team members to create various prototype designs
- Present design ideas to the creative director or showcase them in fashion or trade shows
- Market designs directly to consumers or to clothing retailers
- Supervise the final production of their designs
Larger and popular apparel companies normally employ a team of designers which can be big or small depending upon the size of company, headed by a creative designer. Some of the fashion designers specialize in clothing, accessory or footwear design where as others create designs in all 3 fashion categories.
Usually the first and foremost step in creating a new design is finding in detail about current fashion and anticipating about future trends by reading trend reports and journals published by fashion industry trade groups. They also create collections from inspirations that they derive from their surroundings, from the different cultures and background, from their own experience and places they have visited, and from various media arts that inspire them to create something new and different.
After they have a fair initial idea/thought, fashion designers now start to try out various fabrics and create a prototype, normally with less costly material than will be used in the final product. They work with models to understand how the design will look and then if need be adjust the designs.
The usual practice is that designers first sketch their designs by hand; many now also use computer-aided design to sketch their ideas. They can try out designs, patterns, different colors, and shapes while making adjustments more easily on CAD than they can when working with real fabric on real people as it got lot of limitations and unnecessary expenditure.
The e-commerce and Internet allow fashion designers to offer their products to customers outside of traditional brick-and-mortar stores. These designers with their online stores can ship directly to the consumer, without having to pay for a physical shop to showcase their product lines.
The following are examples of types of fashion designers:
- Clothing designershelp and create produce women’s, men’s, and children’s apparel, including suits, casual wear, sportswear, swim wear, evening wear, and maternity.
- Footwear designers help and create produce different styles of shoes, sandals and boots. As new materials, such as lightweight synthetic materials are coming up and are used in shoe soles, footwear designers create new designs that combine form, comfort and function.
- Accessory designers design and produce items such as suitcases, handbags, belts, scarves, hosiery, hats, and eyewear.
- Costume designers design costumes for motion picture, the performing arts and for television productions. They have to do lot of research on the styles worn during the period in which the performance takes place, or they work with creative directors to create and select appropriate outfit.
We will come back to you with lot more information on this..stay tuned..